Short-Term Rentals

Many Vermonters and those living outside Vermont who own property in the state are renting their spare rooms or other types of lodging to visitors. In many cases, the rent charged to the lodger is subject to the Vermont Meals and Rooms Tax and should be collected and remitted to the Vermont Department of Taxes.

If you are renting a room or your home to guests on a short-term basis, you should learn your tax liabilities as outlined in our fact sheet. Those who rent their rooms or homes on Airbnb should read the section below about the voluntary collection agreement we have with Airbnb and what it means for their hosts.

Voluntary Collection Agreement

The Department of Taxes is pleased to announce an agreement with Airbnb to collect the Vermont Meals and Rooms Tax on payment for lodging offered by its hosts. For more information, please review our press release and the FAQs below.

Q: When will Airbnb start collecting the tax in Vermont?

Q: What if I rent on Airbnb and have been collecting and remitting the tax on my own?

Q: What if I rent on Airbnb and have not been collecting and remitting the meals and rooms tax?

Q: What if I rent on Airbnb and another site?

Q: I think I might owe meals and rooms taxes but haven’t been collecting them when I rent my property and I’m not on Airbnb. What can I do?

Helpful information:
Act 10, An Act Relating to the Short-Term Rentals

Contact Us

Commissioner Kaj Samsom
133 State Street | Montpelier, VT 05633
(802) 828-2505

Taxpayer Assistance Window
Located on the 1st Floor
Service Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday

Contact a Specific Tax Section