Register, Renew, Or Close Your Business


Most businesses operating in Vermont must first register with the Vermont Department of Taxes. For Sales and Use, Meals and Rooms, or Withholding you will need a separate business tax account for each of these respective taxes. Eligible exempt organizations must also register prior to using an exemption certificate.

Register Your New Business & Create a Tax Account

For new businesses, the Vermont’s Department of Taxes, the Secretary of State’s office, and the Department of Labor have partnered to bring you an Online Business Service Center where you can register your business and apply for the licensing and insurance you will need to conduct business in Vermont. 

After you’ve registered your new business online with the Secretary of State, you will be given the option to register for a business tax account with the Department to collect:

  • Sales and Use Tax
  • Meals and Rooms Tax
  • Employer Withholding Tax
  • You can also register for any of the miscellaneous business taxes that your business may be liable for

For businesses already registered with the Secretary of State, you can register for a tax account only.

To Register for Your Tax Account by Mail or Fax

​​You may fax the completed form to (802) 828-5787.


The Secretary of State's office has annual filing requirements for businesses. You will need to renew your business with their office every year. Renew your business registration through the Secretary of State.


If you are closing your business or need to cancel a Sales and Use, Meals and Rooms, or Withholding tax account, you must complete Form B-2, Notice of Change. You will also want to end your business registration with the Secretary of State.

If you have questions about registering for a business tax account, please contact us.

Contact Us

Commissioner Kaj Samsom
133 State Street | Montpelier, VT 05633
(802) 828-2505

Taxpayer Assistance Window
Office Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday

 Call us      Email us      Find us