The Vermont Department of Taxes is proud to announce the creation of the Vermont Tax Advisory Board.
Montpelier, VT – The Vermont Department of Taxes is proud to announce the creation of the Vermont Tax Advisory Board. The purpose of the Vermont Tax Advisory Board (VTAB) is threefold: Provide a public forum for communication between Vermont’s Commissioner of Taxes and representatives of the public interested in Vermont’s tax administration and policy, and; Provide ideas, input and perspective to the Commissioner, assisting her in developing tax policy and identifying improvements in the administration of taxes, and; Provide constructive observations regarding current or proposed policies.
“The tax law is becoming more complex, reflecting our world,” said Tax Commissioner Mary Peterson. “Simultaneously, customer service expectations are rising. Open and transparent collaboration is the key strategy to help government agencies, businesses, and individuals work together in a positive manner. As Commissioner of Taxes, I am convening the Vermont Tax Advisory Board to foster this type of collaboration.”
Other taxing jurisdictions, including the IRS, convene an advisory body comprised of some combination of tax professionals, business stakeholders, activists, scholars, and citizens to provide non-binding public input to management on important tax administration and policy matters. This type of board is considered a best practice in promoting collaboration and transparency.
“I am pleased that Commissioner Peterson is working to enhance relationships with the Department's key stakeholders, - the people, businesses, property owners, cities and towns, and non-profits that make Vermont great,” said Secretary of Administration Jeb Spaulding. “The Vermont Tax Advisory Board represents the type of innovation and transparency that is important to our state and Governor Shumlin.”
A complete list of VTAB members is below:
- Jerry Bowin, CPA, McSoley, McCoy & Co; Chairman of the Vermont Society of CPA’s Tax Committee
- Laird Cameron Bradley, Realtor; former Chairman of the Board for the Vermont Association of Realtors; Williamson Group Sotheby's of Woodstock
- Andrew Brewer, Owner, Onion River Sports
- Jody Fried, Executive Director, Catamount Arts
- Kathleen C. Hoyt, former Secretary of Administration and Chief of Staff for Governor Howard Dean and Chief of Staff for Governor Madeleine Kunin
- Sharon Lockwood, Site Spending Manager, IBM
- Kim Loewer, Enrolled Agent, Managing Partner of Loewer and Associates; President and Founder of the Vermont Chapter of the National Association of Tax Professionals
- Kathryn H. Michaelis, Attorney, Rath, Young, and Pignatelli of Concord, NH
- Janet Spitler, Chief Financial Officer, Merchants Bank
- Patrick Walsh, Assistant Professor of Economics, St. Michael’s College