Sales And Use Filing Checklist

Here’s a checklist of what you’ll need, whether you see a tax professional or file your own Form SU-451, Sales and Use Tax Return.

Before you open for business:

  Register for a Vermont Business Tax Account Number
 Apply for your License:

If your business will be collecting Sales and Use Tax you are required to apply for a license. The license shows that you are authorized to collect taxes on behalf of the State of Vermont. The license must be displayed at your place of business where it can be easily seen by customers. There is no charge for a Sales and Use Tax license.

Operating More Than One Location in Vermont
You will have just one Vermont Business Tax Account, but each location must obtain its own license and will file its own meals and rooms tax schedule. To obtain the additional licenses, register each separate location.

Ready to file?

 Business Name
 Federal ID Number (FEIN)
 Mailing Address
 Reporting period
 Business tax account number
 Total of all sales of taxable and nontaxable tangible personal property
 Total nontaxable sales
 Total taxable sales
 Total amount of state use tax due on purchases subject to use tax
 Total taxable sales made in a local option tax municipality