The Taxpayer Advocate works with you to address your areas of concern. You may expect the following services provided to you by the Taxpayer Advocate:
- Acknowledgement of your request for services
- Independent review of your issue
- Information on your rights
- Guidance on how to address your issue
- If needed, action by the Taxpayer Advocate on your behalf
- Updates on progress pertaining to your issue
- Explanation of the outcome regarding
- Advice on how you can prevent future Vermont tax problems
- Courteous and confidential service
What the Taxpayer Advocate Cannot Do
The scope of the Taxpayer Advocate’s services does not include the following:
- Changing a legal or technical decision or a commissioner’s determination
- Overriding the law
- Representing the taxpayer at Department hearings
- Becoming involved once the appeal process begins, unless there is undue delay in receiving a hearing
Taxpayer Advocate services are not a substitute for established Department procedures or the appeal process.
However, if those procedures are not working effectively, the Taxpayer Advocate will assist the taxpayer to facilitate the process and assure the taxpayer receives rights to which he or she is entitled.
Ready to request taxpayer advocate services?