Skip to main content

If you need to reach us, please use the appropriate email address from the Department directory or schedule a virtual or telephone appointment. See our Flood Recovery Resources to learn more about available tax relief.

Who Should File

You must file an income tax return in Vermont:

  • if you are a residentpart-year resident of Vermont, or a nonresident but earned Vermont income, and

  • if you are required to file a federal income tax return, and

  • you earned or received more than $100 in Vermont income, or

  • you earned or received gross income of more than $1,000 as a nonresident. See 32 V.S.A. § 5861 and § 5823(b) (1-6) for information on sources of income.

When to File

Federal and state income tax returns are typically due April 15. The due date may change if April 15 falls on a weekend or holiday.

Ready to File

Next, you will need to determine your filing status and make sure you have everything you need to get started.

See Tax Information For: