When property is transferred in Vermont, real estate transaction taxes may be due. These taxes include Property Transfer Tax, Real Estate Withholding, and Land Gains Tax. Qualified property owners may request a Commissioner’s Certificate to exempt them from the Real Estate Withholding and Land Gains taxes.
E-File Services for Property Transfer Tax, Land Gains Tax, and Land Gains Withholding Tax
Property Transfer Tax Return, Land Gains Return for both buyers and sellers, and requests for Commissioner’s Certificates can now be processed through myVTax. This new system replaces ePTTR which was previously used for filing property transfer taxes.
What you can do in myVTax:
- File and pay your taxes online
- Share returns between representatives of the buyer and seller to help prepare accurate and complete returns for closing on the property sale
- Check the status of your return or certificate request
- View your return history and any requests filed through myVTax
- Contact the Department through secure online messaging
- Prepopulate data from Property Transfer Tax Return to the Land Gains Return
- Protect your privacy by masking Social Security Numbers and Federal Employer Identification Numbers
Requirement for E-filing
Tax preparers who file more than five returns or certificate requests per calendar year are required to use myVTax for filing. If you file fewer than five returns, you can order a specific form online or by calling the Vermont Department of Taxes at (802) 828-2515.
myVTax Videos and Guides
We have created helpful guides, short videos and we offer periodic training to help you with the transition from ePTTR to myVTax.