Real Estate Transaction Taxes

When property is transferred in Vermont, real estate transaction taxes may be due.  These taxes include Property Transfer Tax, Real Estate Withholding, and Land Gains Tax. Qualified property owners may request a Commissioner’s Certificate to exempt them from the Real Estate Withholding and Land Gains taxes.

Ready to get Started with myVTax? Log in now


E-File Services for Property Transfer Tax, Land Gains Tax, and Land Gains Withholding Tax

Property Transfer Tax Return, Land Gains Return for both buyers and sellers, and requests for Commissioner’s Certificates can now be processed through myVTax.  This new system replaces ePTTR which was previously used for filing property transfer taxes.

What you can do in myVTax:

  • File and pay your taxes online
  • Share returns between representatives of the buyer and seller to help prepare accurate and complete returns for closing on the property sale
  • Check the status of your return or certificate request
  • View your return history and any requests filed through myVTax
  • Contact the Department through secure online messaging
  • Prepopulate data from Property Transfer Tax Return to the Land Gains Return
  • Protect your privacy by masking Social Security Numbers and Federal Employer Identification Numbers

Requirement for E-filing

Tax preparers who file more than five returns or certificate requests per calendar year are required to use myVTax for filing. If you file fewer than five returns, you can order a specific form online or by calling the Vermont Department of Taxes at (802) 828-2515. 

myVTax Videos and Guides

We have created helpful guides, short videos and we offer periodic training  to help you with the transition from ePTTR to myVTax.

Videos myVTax Guides
Watch: How to Login and File a Property Transfer Tax Return myVTax Guide for Attorneys & Staff
Watch: How to File a Land Gains Tax Return myVTax Guide for Town Clerks: How to Add More Users
More myVTax videos and guides myVTax Guide for Town Clerks: How to Record Returns
  Town Clerks: When to Mail Paper Versions of the Property Transfer Tax Return to the State

Button: Commissioner Certificate

Button: Property Owner Forms