How To Register For A Business Tax Account and License
Nonprofit organizations that qualify for tax exempt status may be exempt from Vermont business taxes. However, in many situations, nonprofits are required to collect and remit these taxes.
To register for a Vermont Business Tax Account and appropriate licensing, you must do the following:
- Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS even if you have no employees.
- Register for a Vermont Business Tax Account with the Vermont Department of Taxes before you make purchases or sales.
- Register for a Sales and Use Tax or Meals and Rooms Tax license before you make any sales, rent rooms, or serve meals—taxable or tax-exempt.
- You may register online through myVTax or the Vermont Secretary of State. If you register online, you will receive your account and license more quickly than registering using a paper form.
- If you prefer to use a paper form, submit Form BR-400, Application for Business Tax Account.
Submit a photocopy of the IRS determination letter granting tax exempt status with the application for the license.