Business FAQs

We have compiled a list of some of the most frequently asked questions about how taxes apply to your business. If you still have questions after reviewing this list, please contact us directly.

Q: I am buying or selling a business. What do I need to know about my tax responsibilities?

Q: What is local option tax?

Q: Do I still file a return if my business did not have sales, or meals or room rentals, or withholding, during the tax period?

Q: My business paid too much sales tax. What are the procedures for obtaining a refund?

Q: How do I change the filing frequency for sales and use, meals and rooms, or withholding tax?

Q: How do I amend my sales and use, meals and rooms, or withholding returns?

Q: How do I verify a sales and use or meals and rooms license?


Business Tax Accounts


Q: What businesses need to register for a Vermont business tax account?

Q: How do I set up a Vermont business tax account online?

Q: May I set up a Vermont business tax account using a paper form instead of online?

Q: How do I close my business tax account?




Q: What business tax returns may be filed online through myVTax?

Q: How do I register my business’s account in myVTax?

Q: Can I pay with either ACH credit or ACH debit in myVTax?


Nonprofits and Exempt Organizations


Q: If my business is a nonprofit organization, does it need to pay Vermont sales and use and other taxes?

Q: How do I verify a tax exemption certificate?

Contact Us

Commissioner Kaj Samsom
133 State Street | Montpelier, VT 05633
(802) 828-2505

Taxpayer Assistance Window
Office Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday

 Call us      Email us      Find us