Skip to main content

Register for a Business Tax Account

Most businesses operating in Vermont must first register with the Vermont Department of Taxes. For Sales and Use, Meals and Rooms, or Withholding you will need a separate business tax account for each of these respective taxes.

Eligible exempt organizations must also register prior to using an exemption certificate. Learn more about registering a nonprofit organization.

Register Your New Business

To register your business with the Vermont Department of Taxes please select Sign Up on the myVTax homepage.

Note that you are only required to register with the Vermont Department of Taxes if your business will collect any of the following taxes:

  • Sales and Use Tax

  • Meals and Rooms Tax

  • Employer Withholding Tax

  • Cannabis Excise Tax

  • Cigarette and Tobacco Tax

  • Fuel Tax

Businesses Already Registered with the Secretary of State

For businesses already registered with the Secretary of State, you may register for a tax account only. You may also register for a business tax account directly with the Department of Taxes using myVTax.

The Secretary of State's office has annual filing requirements for businesses. You will need to renew your business with its office every year. Ready to renew your business registration?

You do not have to renew your business tax account with the Department of Taxes.

Register for Your Tax Account by Mail or Fax

You may fax the completed form to (802) 828-5787.

Update A Business Tax Account

A business may update its business tax account online using myVTax. You may change an address, contact information, owner name, EIN, and more. To change entity type, however, you will need to close the old account and apply for a new one.

Close A Business Tax Account

To close your business account online, log in to your myVTax account and select Close Account. If you have more than one type of business tax account, you must close each individually.

If you do not have a myVTax account, you may file on a paper form using Form B-2, Notice of Change. Learn more about your tax obligations when closing a business.

If you have questions about registering, updating, or closing a business tax account, please contact us.