Skip to main content

Nonresident but Earned Vermont Income

If you were not a resident of Vermont during the tax year but earned Vermont income, calculate your income using the information that follows to determine whether you must file a Vermont income tax return.

You are a nonresident if you do not qualify as a resident during any part of the taxable year.

If you were not a resident of Vermont for the full tax year but earned income in Vermont, then your income is the sum of the following types of income as long as they are required to be included in federal adjusted gross income:

  • Rents and royalties from ownership of property located in Vermont

  • Gains from the sale or exchange of Vermont property, including the sale of timber or timber rights

  • Wages, salaries, commissions, or other income received for services performed in Vermont

  • Income from every business, trade, profession, or occupation conducted in Vermont, including money received:

    1. under an agreement not to compete with a business operation in Vermont

    2. for goodwill associated with the sale of a Vermont business, or

    3. for contractual services associated with the sale of a Vermont business unless it is shown that the compensation for services does not constitute income from the sale of the business

  • Income previously deferred under a nonqualified deferred compensation plan and income derived from such previously deferred income

Nonresidents with a filing requirement will file Form IN-111, Vermont Income Tax Return and Schedule IN-113, Income Adjustment Calculations.

The following types of income are not included as Vermont income for a nonresident:

  • Income received for a dramatic performance in a commercial film as long as the income is excluded from personal income tax in the state of residence

  • Full-time, active duty pay while stationed in Vermont from the armed services when the pay is earned outside of Vermont. For more information, see Vermont Income Tax for Military Personnel.

  • Activities or services to create or maintain a web or internet site.

If the result is net income of more than $100 or gross income (income before any losses) of more than $1,000, then you must file a Vermont income tax return.

Other Types of Income