Request An Extension

Vermont allows taxpayers an extension of six (6) months to file their Form IN-111, Vermont Individual Income Tax Return, but they must submit an application first. Taxpayers may file online through myVTax or submit Form IN-151, Application for Extension of Time to File Form IN-111, by the April due date.

The extension allows additional time to file, but it does not extend the time to pay any tax due. If you owe additional tax, you must pay the amount due by the April filing deadline even if you file an extension.

Use myVTax to file an extension for:

Or complete the following form:

Please mail your request together with any tax due, not later than the April filing deadline to:

Vermont Department of Taxes
PO Box 1779
Montpelier, VT 05601-1779

There are no extensions allowed for the following:

Homestead Declaration and Property Tax Adjustment Claims are accepted up to the October filing deadline, however late filing penalties will apply.