Effective November 9, 2020, myVTax will have a new, streamlined look which will make finding the functions you need even easier than before. While the functionality mostly remains the same, we think you will find this layout simpler and more intuitive.
See homepage changes for:
With more white space, panels that stack based on screen size, and a search feature that filters the panels, finding what you need is faster than ever.
The work you do in myVTax has been reorganized into three main sections:
- Action Center,
- and I Want To.
From the Summary tab you can drill into your accounts, file returns, make payments, and more. The Summary tab (shown below) shows all accounts and balances. It also has links based on account type for activities such as filing returns, making payments, closing an account, managing business principals, and more.
The Action Center highlights things that need attention, such as returns that are due to be filed or messages received from the Department.
The I Want To section contains other miscellaneous actions you can take in the system. Examples include granting a third party (like a tax preparer) access to your accounts, adding access to other tax types you are responsible for, managing payments and returns, updating names and addresses, and viewing letters and messages that the Department has sent you. Additionally, the searches available here will pull back results for all account types that you have access to.
Accountants and Preparers
The Accountant Center (shown below) provides information about all of your clients at once. See recent submissions, view messages and letters, manage payments and returns, or request access to a client.
The All tab shows all clients you have access to. Preparers with access to three or more clients have a Favorites tab, where they can select clients they work with most frequently.
The Recent tab is another quick way to access clients, providing links to clients you have worked with most recently.
We have also added outstanding action alerts under a client flag where attention is needed for a particular client. Action alerts may include unfiled returns, payments needed, or unread messages.
The All tab provides a list of the clients to which the attorney has been granted to myVTax access. There is also a new Favorites tab that allows attorneys to create shortcuts to their favorite clients. If Favorites has previously been chosen, upon subsequent sign-ins in the Favorites tab will be displayed by default.
Like accountants and preparers, attorneys also have a new Accountant Center which allows them to file a real estate return, view submissions, see letters and messages, manage payments and returns, and request access to client accounts.
Services and Features
Filing Options Available
- Homestead Declaration Claim
- Property Tax Credit Claim
- Renter Rebate Claim
- Landlord Certificate
- Estimated Income Tax
- Property Transfer Tax
- Land Gains Tax
- Land Gains Withholding Tax
- Return Refund Status
- Use Tax
Business and Corporate Income Taxes
- Business Income Tax
- Corporate Income Taxes
- Meals and Rooms Tax
- Sales and Use Tax (including Streamlined Sales Tax)
- Withholding Tax
- Abandoned Beverage Tax
- Bank Franchise Tax
- Captive Insurance Tax
- Cigarette Tax and Tobacco Products Tax
- Fuel Tax
- Health Care Claims Tax
- Insurance Premium Tax
- Malt and Vinous Beverage Tax
- Solar Energy Capacity Tax
- Solid Waste Tax
- Surplus Lines Insurance and Direct Insurance Placement Tax
- Telephone Gross Receipts Tax
- Telephone Personal Property Tax
- Universal Service Charge (USC)
- Wind-Powered Electric Generating Facility Tax
File an Extension for
- Personal Income Tax
- Business Income Tax
- Corporate Income Tax
- Fiduciary Income Tax
More Convenient Features
- Bulk upload or data enter W-2s/1099/WHT- 434 for electronic submission (1099 upload only)
- Bulk upload quarterly withholding reconciliations for payroll services
- Bulk upload or data enter landlord certificates to the Department and print certificates for your tenants
- Submit commissioner’s certificate requests for real estate withholding exemptions
Manage your myVTax Account
Update your information on all account types (including those that can’t be filed through myVTax)
- Closing Accounts
- Managing responsible parties / business principals
Other Account Features
- Check my estimated payments and carryforwards
- Enter into a payment plan
- Find status of your personal income tax return and refund at “Where’s my refund?”
- Get your 1099-G
- Link your accountant to your account or other third party—no need to share passwords
- Register for new tax accounts for all account types, except personal income tax, Homestead Declaration, and Renter Rebate
- Submit electronic registrations or account updates and closures via the Secretary of State portal
- View account balances, including tax, penalty, interest, and credits on all recent periods
Communicate with Us
- View correspondence for all tax types
- Send the Department a secure message
- Respond to correspondence from the Department
- Notice of Intent to Assess disputes
- Additional information requests
- Written appeals
- PIN letters