For Landlords

Landlord Certificates

If you are a landlord, you must provide your tenants and the Department of Taxes with a copy of a Landlord Certificate every year. The requirement to submit a copy of the certificate to the Department was the result of a legislative change in 2016. If you submit your Form LC-142 using our online filing system, myVTax, a copy is automatically sent to the Department.

When Do I Need to Issue the Certificate?

If you have two (2) or more residential units
by January 31

If you have one (1) residential unit
upon tenant request

What Happens If I Do Not Issue a Certificate?

You may be assessed a $200 per certificate penalty for failing to provide a tenant a certificate or failing to provide accurate information on the certificate.

Ready to complete the Landlord Certificate?

You will need the following information to complete the certificate:

  • Your name or the owner of the rental property. If multiple owners, print each owner name separated by a comma.
  • Mailing address for correspondence concerning this rental unit.
  • Physical location of the rental unit.
  • School Parcel Account Number (SPAN) for the rental property.
  • The number of rental units in this property. For mobile home parks, enter the number of lots.
  • Print the name(s) of the tenants.
  • Keep a copy for your records.

Please note: Only one certificate per rental unit can be issued even if there is more than one tenant at a time in the unit.

If you need assistance completing the certificate, please contact us.

BUTTON: RRebate LC Electronic

BUTTON: RRebate LC Paper

BUTTON: RRebate Status