If you qualify for Free File options to electronically file your federal individual income tax return with the IRS, you may also qualify for free electronic filing of your Vermont return with one of the Free File participating vendors.
The Free File partnership between the IRS and brand-name tax software companies has helped more than 100 million taxpayers prepare their tax returns, capturing all credits and deductions to maximize their refund, at no cost. This alliance enables 70 percent of all taxpayers – individuals, families, and active military with an adjusted gross income of $73,000 or less for Tax Year 2021 – to use the best-known and most trusted commercial tax preparation software products for free. Because the tax software companies donate their products, this program comes at no cost to the government, and in fact, saves taxpayer dollars by encouraging e-filing versus filing paper returns.
The tax software programs – the same popular products people buy every year – make tax filing easy, walking taxpayers through the process of filing online, cutting down on errors, and helping taxpayers get their refunds faster – with no hidden costs or fees.
- The programs use information you enter to help you determine if you qualify for tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit. Vermont taxpayers can use Free File anywhere – in the comfort of their own home, or wherever there is a computer with internet access.
Tax software programs are constantly updated to give you the most up-to-date information to complete your return accurately, and acknowledgment that your return was received.
Free File is a companion to other IRS programs that provide reliable tax preparation to the public at no cost, especially the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. VITA services are offered through thousands of community-based organizations and connect taxpayers to IRS-certified volunteers who are trained – and deeply passionate about – preparing returns for eligible individuals and families. Some VITAs also provide taxpayers access to Free File products at their sites, designating computers, workstations, and volunteers for coaching and encouragement as the taxpayer prepares returns using the tax software.
- Most tax software vendors have two websites, one that is meant for use by the general public where a fee may be charged. The other site for those eligible for Free File.
- Do not use the IRS' Free File link if you will file a Vermont return. To use Free File for your Vermont return, file both your federal and Vermont returns through the links provided on this page. The IRS Free File link brings you to the vendor's Free File site; however, you cannot complete a Vermont return from the IRS link.
Free File software meets the highest standards of security, privacy, and support. Every tax return is transmitted through secure e-file systems to the IRS and the Vermont Department of Taxes. Taxpayers receive an email confirmation from the Free File vendor when the return is accepted.
All online tax-filing vendors offer a multi-factor authentication option. When active, multi-factor authentication asks you to enter two pieces of information to securely access the account or application. For example, enter your username, password, and a temporary number code sent by email or by text.
If you decide to do your return on a mobile device or are using a Wi-Fi connection, be sure to use a trusted network, such as your home system. Never use public Wi-Fi unless you deploy a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt the data.
Filing Other Vermont Forms
Besides federal and state returns, some Free File providers offer these Vermont forms:
- Vermont Renter Credit Claim
- Vermont Homestead Declaration and Property Tax Credit Claim
- Extension to File Personal Income Tax
Whether or not a particular provider offers these forms, you can always file them using myVTax, Vermont’s online filing service. Whichever method you choose, be sure to file only once.
For more information and a list of frequently asked questions, visit the Free File Alliance website.