Skip to main content

Military and Veterans

Military Servicemembers

If you are a member of the armed services, you may be eligible for exemptions, extensions, and abatements available to you as a military service member.

Read the Vermont Tax Guide for Military and National Services to see if you are eligible.

Note: You may also qualify for Vermont Free File if you are active-duty military.


Property Tax Exemption for Disabled Veterans

Qualified disabled veterans may be eligible for an exemption on their Vermont property taxes. Learn more about this exemption and see if you meet the eligibility requirements.

Sales and Use Tax Exemption for 501(c)(19) Veterans Organizations

A veterans organization designated by the IRS as a 501(c)(19) tax-exempt nonprofit is subject to Vermont Sales and Use Tax unless specifically exempted by Vermont law. Under Vermont law at 32 V.S.A § 9741(33), a 501(c)(19) organization may purchase or sell United States flags tax-free in Vermont. To learn how to do this correctly, see our section on Sales and Use Tax for Nonprofits.


Free Tax Preparation Assistance in Vermont
IRS Guidance for Military
Vermont National Guard Military OneSource
Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs
U.S. Department of Defense Military OneSource (MilTax)