Skip to main content

Property Tax | Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a filing requirement for owners of residential property in Vermont?

In Vermont, all property is subject to education property tax to pay for the state’s schools. For this purpose, property is categorized as either nonresidential or homestead.

By Vermont law, property owners whose homes meet the definition of a Vermont homestead must file Form HS-122, Section A, Homestead Declaration, annually by the April filing deadline. This will assure that your client’s homestead tax rate will be assessed correctly.

You may file this form for your clients.

Is there any help for someone who has trouble paying property tax?

Vermont offers a property tax credit which assists some homeowners with paying their property taxes. Some of your clients may be eligible to file Form HS-122, Section B, Property Tax Credit Claim, if their property qualifies as a homestead and they meet the income and other eligibility requirements. For this year, the maximum household income is approximately $128,000.

You may file this form for your clients.

Where do I refer my clients who are buying or selling real estate?

To file and pay the property transfer tax, you may refer your clients who purchase or sell real estate to our electronic Property Transfer Tax Return.

Does Vermont have any special tax program for owners of forest lands or agricultural lands?

Vermont’s Use Value Appraisal (UVA) Program, referred to as Current Use, enables eligible private lands, where owners practice long-term forestry or agriculture, to be appraised based on the property’s value of production of wood or food rather than its residential or commercial development value.