If you are a landlord, you must provide your tenants and the Department of Taxes with a copy of a Landlord Certificate every year. The requirement to submit a copy of the certificate to the Department was the result of a legislative change in 2016. If you submit your Form LC-142 using our online filing system, myVTax, a copy is automatically sent to the Department.
When Do I Need to Issue the Certificate?
If you have two (2) or more residential units
by January 31
If you have one (1) residential unit
upon tenant request
What Happens If I Do Not Issue a Certificate?
You may be assessed a $200 per certificate penalty for failing to provide a tenant a certificate or failing to provide accurate information on the certificate.
Ready to complete the Landlord Certificate?
You will need the following information to complete the certificate:
- Your name or the owner of the rental property. If multiple owners, print each owner name separated by a comma.
- Mailing address for correspondence concerning this rental unit.
- Physical location of the rental unit.
- School Parcel Account Number (SPAN) for the rental property.
- The number of rental units in this property. For mobile home parks, enter the number of lots.
- Print the name(s) of the tenants.
- Keep a copy for your records.
If you need assistance completing the certificate, please contact us.