Report Identity Theft or Fraud

Be assured that the Vermont Department of Taxes will work to get every legitimate taxpayer, including victims of refund fraud, their refund as soon as possible.

What to Do If You Suspect Your Identity Has Been Stolen

  • Quick action is key
  • Report identity theft and create a recovery plan at
  • Contact the Vermont Department of Taxes to file a report
  • Submit a copy of IRS Identity Theft Affidavit to the department

What Happens If a Refund Has Already Been Issued?

We will work with you to get your refund as soon as possible. However, it will be necessary to follow extra steps. Contact us immediately at (802) 828-2865 or (866) 828-2865

Have You Received a Letter from The IRS Or Vermont Department of Taxes?

If the IRS or Vermont Department of Taxes discovers that someone has already filed for a tax refund in your name, you will be notified by letter. Please respond immediately and follow the instructions.

The IRS will issue you a special PIN to enable the filing of a return if your identity is at risk. Please note that a common scam is for criminals to impersonate an IRS agent and ask for your Social Security Number. Never send your Social Security Number over email, and do not give identifying information over the telephone unless you have initiated the contact. Are you unsure that the communication you received is genuine?

If you have been contacted by an IRS telephone scam, please report it to the Vermont Attorney General at: (800) 649-2424 or visit the Consumer Assistance Program website for more information.

The Next Step

Recovering from Identity Theft