We have complied a list of basic instructions and user guides for common technical issues and how to navigate some of our online platforms. If you need additional help with any of our online tools or forms, please contact us directly.
In order to make filing your taxes easier, the Vermont Department of Taxes has started to convert our popular forms to Adobe Acrobat PDF files. All of our fillable PDF forms are tested prior to posting.
Fillable PDFs allow you to complete a form right on your computer. Some forms will also do basic math for you. This cuts down on errors and expedites processing. Not all browsers are compatible with the fillable PDF form. Depending on the browser you are using, you may see different results when you attempt to complete a fillable PDF.
Here are instructions for the most commonly used browsers to ensure the forms work correctly. Please keep in mind that if you are running an older version of Adobe or your internet browser, you will likely experience compatibility issues.
Installing Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view fillable forms, enter data, print and save. Adobe Reader is available free from Adobe. If you do not have the Adobe Reader, please install it prior to opening the fillable form. Get the free download.
For best results, always update your browser and Adobe when prompted. We recommend using the most recent version of Adobe Reader.
How to Update Reader or Acrobat
Adobe releases regular security updates for Reader and Acrobat.
If you have problems with a file, such as PDF pages that don't appear in the browser window, please review the troubleshooting information in Adobe Support.
Adobe PDF Plug-In
Chrome on Mac or Windows
Chrome and Acrobat are no longer compatible. For more information, go to Adobe Support to see change in support for Acrobat and Reader plug-ins in modern web browsers.
Safari on Mac or Windows
For Safari on Mac OS go to Adobe Support for detailed instructions.
- Launch Safari and choose Safari > Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, click Security, and then click Website Settings next to Internet plug-ins.
- Select Adobe Reader in the list of plug-ins. Under When Visiting Other Websites, in the drop-down list choose Allow Always and click Done.
- The browser is now set to use the Adobe Reader plug-in to display PDFs.
Go to Adobe Support for additional information on configuring browser plugins.
Opening Fillable Forms in Different Browsers
Not all browsers are compatible with the fillable PDF form. We recommend you use Edge or Mozilla Firefox.
Go to Adobe Support for additional information on PDF browser compatibility.
Google Chrome and Apple Safari come with built-in PDF viewers that are enabled by default to open PDF files directly in the browser window. If you are using one of these browsers, you must first download the form and then open it using a compatible PDF viewer.
For Mac users, Adobe Acrobat is also recommended since Preview will not allow saving the form in a way that guarantees proper printing of the document.
Completing a Fillable Form
Avoid completing the form online within your web browser using a built-in PDF viewer. Save the form (PDF format) to a drive or location on your computer
Use the latest version of Adobe Reader to complete fillable PDF forms. Mac and Windows versions of the free Adobe Reader are available from Adobe. Get the free download.
Before completing the form:
- If viewing the form in a built-in PDF viewer using Chrome or Firefox, right-click the PDF and select Save as or Save Page As
- You should then be prompted to choose a location to save the file
- Make sure the type is set to PDF
- Select the location on your computer and click the Save button
- Please note the file name and location of the saved file
- Once saved, navigate to the file on your computer and open it
- You are now ready to complete the form
After you have completed the form, save a final version of the file to your computer.
After you have completed the form and saved a final version of the file to your computer, print the completed form and submit it to the Vermont Department of Taxes.
Printing Completed Forms
To allow your return to be processed more efficiently, please confirm the following before printing:
If the form is a fillable PDF, use ALL CAPS when entering letters of the alphabet.
Print menu settings:
- Select pages to print
- Set page scaling to None
- Check the Auto-Rotate and Center box
- Check the Choose paper source by PDF paper size box
- Print on standard white letter 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper 20-24 lb.
When mailing your return using forms printed from the web:
- Check that original is free of smudges or stains and is legible
- Submit original printouts only. Do not submit photocopies.
- Do not submit enlarged or reduced image forms
State of Vermont Departments Systems Instructions
Departments within the State of Vermont should remit tax collections electronically to the Department of Taxes through ACH Credit processing via the Vision Accounts Payable Module. Staff responsible for transferring payment must follow the detailed instructions provided to ensure smooth processing.
Still Having Trouble?
Please contact us with questions or technical problems with any of our online services.
We try to support recent versions of most browsers. If you are experiencing problems, we encourage you to visit your browser's web site for technical assistance. If you are using an older browser, you may need to upgrade to a later version.