Homestead Declarations | Frequently Asked Questions

What if there is more than one owner of the homestead?

If the property owners are a married or civil union couple, then both owners are included in the Homestead Declaration. Learn more about other ownership situations or special situations. If you have additional questions please contact the Vermont Department of Taxes.

What happens if the homestead is located in two adjoining towns?

The Homestead Declaration must be filed in both towns.

What happens if the property is transferred to a new owner after April 1?

If the property is transferred (by sale or some other type of transaction) to a new owner after April 1, the new owner waits until the following year to file the Homestead Declaration if the property qualifies as a homestead.

What if I rent my homestead on April 1 and occupy it myself for fewer than 183 days in the calendar year?

You must withdraw the declaration using Form HS-122W. Because the Homestead Declaration is a prerequisite to file a Property Tax Credit, you will no longer be eligible for the credit.