Certain expenses related to training offered for municipal listers and assessors may be refundable by a grant. Applications for grants are submitted to the Director of the Division of Property Valuation and Review (PVR) and must be preapproved prior to attending the training.
According to 32 V.S.A. § 4041a(d) ...up to 20 percent of the amount available for education programs may be reserved as a scholarship fund to permit municipal assessing officials to attend national programs providing education opportunities on advanced assessment topics. All applications for scholarships shall be submitted to and approved by the Director (of PVR).
PVR partners with organizations such as the Vermont Assessors and Listers Association (VALA), the Vermont League of Cities and Towns (VLCT), and the New England Municipal Resource Center (NEMRC) to directly sponsor events and to eliminate and reduce training charges for listers and assessors. This includes VALA trainings, VLCT workshops, International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) courses, workshops, and NEMRC trainings.
How to Apply
You must be pre-authorized by the director of PVR before the training by submitting a completed grant application. For all assessment trainings, you must list mileage and the name of your accommodation (if more than 50 miles away) for reimbursement.
Please note: The application is a fillable PDF file, and requires the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to open.
- Open the file from your computer
- Use the tab key to move through and complete all yellow highlighted fields on the application
- Fill in mileage and accommodation that the municipality will be charged. Always reference the training name that relates to the request.
- Click Save and Print located at the bottom of the application, then select the Send Via Email to submit your application.
- You will receive an email from ADS-OneSpan. Follow the instructions in the email to complete the application signature.
What Does the Grant Cover?
Listers and assessors may apply for grants for any assessment course that is not listed on the state-sponsored education course list. An application may also be used to request reimbursement of the following expenses:
- Mileage, for an in-state training that is more than 50 miles from an attendee’s office or home
- Overnight accommodation, if an in-state training occurs over more than one day and is more than 50 miles from an attendee’s office or home
- Webinars for grand list, CAMA, Apex sketching training
- NEMRC training through their video library
- Reconciling your grand list
- Reconciling taxes
- Preparing tax billing
- New homestead reports
- Contiguous parcel feature
- Any grand list / CAMA videos
How to Submit your Expenses
Once the training has been completed, submit the paid invoice and proof of attendance to PVR. Once the payment and attendance have been verified, PVR will submit the State of Vermont Grant Agreement Application for reimbursement. If you have questions, please email or call (802) 828-6887.